Friday, August 26, 2016

Overlay Illusion

Annie Stewart wrote:
I think I have more of a construction question, but it leans towards design. I'm quite taken with the "overlay illusion" you use. As in across the moon in some of the October series. How do you have to overlay effect include both the background AND into the moon, and get all of the curved lines to be continuous across both planes? Did that make any sense? Can you show me a step by step? Thanks!!
Answer:
Since I didn't take photos of the steps in the quilts Annie cites, I decided to make another one of them for this demo. I kept the original drawing so that is where the overlay illusion begins.

As you see, the lines of the pattern show sections that connect. This is how I will be able to plan where the moon begins and the background meets it.
First, trace the pattern, making adjustments to the elements in the design, if necessary.
 Next build the background, fusing the shapes onto the tracing, carefully lining up the cut lines with the lines of the moon shape.
 Then add the silk shapes, making sure that they overlap the background color, just a tiny bit. Notice how the silk still lines up with the background line. The next pieces will have to slip under the lined up piece so that the line continues uninterrupted.
  I've added some more connecting lines in the moon area and those will follow the same lines, both horizontal and vertical. There might be some trimming needed to reinforce the design 

  And the finished top, quilted.
For your assignment, if you choose to try this, draw a small pattern for yourself with shapes that line up. Consider what goes first and then what goes next to that part. Slide pieces underneath the adjoining piece if necessary. Carefully fuse the finished product and post it on Post your homework. 



8 comments:

  1. I love this one. I'm still working on the last assignment and realizing I missed a couple of key steps. But I'm going to finish it, warts and all. I'm learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melody!! Now that makes total sense to me! You wouldn't believe what I had trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody, do you have an email address that can be used for long posts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMD, just use fibermania at g mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to start from the go beginning again in several months. We live in Baton Rouge, la and got 31 inches of water in the house. I am not going to be sewing for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited about this overlay technique....but I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks so fusing fun will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete




  7. RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $200,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via WhatsApp Number +12156195367 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

    Best Regards
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    WhatsApp Number +12156195367
    profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comment or ask your questions here so I can clear up any confusion.