Thursday, September 15, 2016

Focus on Fusing: Intermediate Lessons

Sale on Wonder-Under online only:
http://www.joann.com/pellon-805-wonder-under-interfacing-by-the-bolt/13188735.html
Designed and made by my sister Brooke Larm:
Brooke Larms'  fused quilt Cell Theory

My sister and fellow fuser,  Brooke Larm and I had a discussion of where I will be taking the class now that the fundamentals have been taught. I wanted to just let you go free to devise your own designs and experiment. But I know a bunch of you want to continue to have assignments of some kind, so what should those be? We came up with a list and I am back on the bandwagon to continue to provide some structure to the class by suggesting ideas and challenges.
Last week Nancy asked:
As for design principles, could you talk a little bit about negative space, i.e. maybe percentages of busy vs. areas of eye-rest in a composition? How does color play a part in achieving a balance? Do you look at areas of a composition and think, now I need something dark in this corner, or something bright opposite this side, to balance? How about motifs – ever need to balance those?
My answer:
I never think of things like that,which sound like rules to me,  so if they are important I guess I have managed a career in art without consciously considering them. I look at the thing I am making and evaluate what it says to me.
This is strictly a personal way of working and you must find what works for you. Your style will emerge from trial and error and seeing the results of what you have tried, in a body of work. 

There are no rules in art that one must keep in one's mind as one creates. If rules made great  
art then art would become formulaic and boring. Let go of worry about rules and just play. 

To begin, ask yourself why fuse? Some of my answers are listed below.
Why fuse?
Fusing is a fast way to get my ideas out of my head and into reality.
Fusing allows all shapes to be part of my design vocabulary.
I can change my design by easily peeling up a part that doesn't work, rather than unsewing it.
Details can be added to enhance my design.
I love the fused finishing techniques for mounting and hanging work.
Fusing works for both pieced looking and appliqued looking designs.



Your assignment is to create a composition that could best be done (sensibly) by fusing. Any size you like.
Send me a picture of your finished project and I will try to feature it on the blog next week, pointing out the way you have used fusing to aid in your design. Not a critique, but examples to help everyone.
My email is fibermania at g mail dot com. 

4 comments:

  1. Until midnight today Saturday, 9/17, free shipping with code FSNM16 at Jo-Ann's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the class is continuing and I like these challenges that are more open....giving us a structure...but allowing freedom. Your no rules approach to design works well for me. I've been in a holding pattern for a few weeks....WAY too much other stuff going on. But I'm dying (pardon the pun) to get back to playing around with fusing and will squeeze it in when I can. I just ordered 2 more bolts of Wonder-Under....so I plan to do this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange "water hack" burns 2lbs overnight

    Over 160 thousand women and men are using a easy and SECRET "water hack" to burn 2lbs each and every night while they sleep.

    It is proven and it works with everybody.

    Just follow these easy step:

    1) Get a drinking glass and fill it up half glass

    2) Now learn this crazy hack

    so you'll be 2lbs thinner when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete




  4. RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $200,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via WhatsApp Number +12156195367 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

    Best Regards
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    WhatsApp Number +12156195367
    profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comment or ask your questions here so I can clear up any confusion.